Live Nation and Pennzoil teamed up to completely re-imagine the live performance, challenging musicians to perform in an unexpected location: the back seat of a moving car.
About The Client
At Pennzoil, they’re car people. They love cars and the role they play in our lives. That’s why they tirelessly strive to produce the most technologically advanced, highest performing motor oils on the market. Pennzoil has made the switch to natural gas technology to make purer synthetic motor oils that lead to better performance than motor oils made from crude oil.
In 2013, Pennzoil teamed up with Live Nation to promote the brand's hugely successful partnership with Tim McGraw during his Two Lanes of Freedom tour. The following year, Pennzoil had a different demographic focus, but still the same urgency to connect their brand with music.
Behind The Project
With a goal of amplifying their ‘motor oil reimagined’ platform among younger car lovers, Pennzoil worked with Live Nation to create and produce a 12–episode performance series of artists ‘reimagining’ their songs in the back of a customized Pennzoil-branded vehicle.
Four episodes were released in 2014 and the remaining eight are being filmed and published in 2015.
The Backseat Pass program, a custom content series featuring both up-and-coming artists as well as established acts, stressed the brand's newest product release, Pennzoil Platinum with PurePlus Technology motor oil.
The footage of artists performing was captured by Live Nation and distributed for fans on a Pennzoil-branded microsite (pennzoilbackseatpass.com) that also featured a fan-facing promotion, awarding a lucky fan with a VIP flyway experience to a Live Nation festival of their choice.
- Custom digital content series showcased live in-car performances
- In each episode, the artists first discussed what cars mean to their music then provided a live performance in the back seat of a car
- Program artists to date have included: OK Go, Echosmith, Plain White T’s, and Delta Spirit.
- Videos were hosted on the Backseat Pass microsite, which also featured a flyaway sweepstakes, photo gallery, and content highlighting Pennzoil’s new product technology
- Results were amplified via a heavily diversified digital promotion strategy, including social media promotion, banner images on Live Nation’s family of websites, mobile, content syndication, and email marketing
Digital Media Impressions
Video Views To Date
Let's work together.